9 Lý do Vietnamese is Easier Than You Think - vozForums
vozForums
Go Back   vozForums > Khu vui chơi giải trí > Chuyện trò linh tinh™ > Điểm báo
Reply Xem trên mobile

Old 18-03-2019, 21:10

9 Lý do Vietnamese is Easier Than You Think

9 Reasons Vietnamese is Easier Than You Think

Just how difficult is the Vietnamese language?

Pretty much impossible, if you ask the Vietnamese themselves. The supposed difficulty of Vietnam's official language is a point of national pride amongst its 90 million inhabitants, and locals are happy to tell you “tiếng Việt khó!” (Vietnamese is hard) at every possible opportunity.

So if you’re learning Vietnamese, or thinking about learning, it’s likely that all you’ve been getting so far is discouragement! In this article, I want to give you an alternate perspective, and offer you some encouragement, because chances are that Vietnamese is easier than you think.

It's true that, with six tones and a plethora of strange vowel sounds that we don’t have in English, pronouncing Vietnamese can be tricky. But most expats in Vietnam (of which I was one for a year) fail to realise that the pronunciation is just about the only difficult thing about Vietnamese. Every other aspect of the language is extremely easy – far easier that what you might expect, especially compared to most European languages.

Don't believe me? Here are nine reasons why Vietnamese is easier than you think:

1. Vietnamese Has No Genders

If you've ever learned French, Spanish, German, or just about any European language except English, you just breathed a huge sigh of relief. Vietnamese has no concept of “masculine” or “feminine” words. You can just learn the word as it is, without any need for extra memorisation.
2. Vietnamese Dispenses with “a” and “the”

If someone who was studying English asked you when to use “a” before a word, and when to use “the”, would you be able to explain? It’s a surprisingly complicated topic. The Wikipedia page on “articles”, as they’re called, is over 2500 words long!

But is it really that important whether you’re talking about “a” something or “the” something? It’s usually obvious from the context which one you mean. Far easier to just do away with them completely, which is what Vietnamese does. Người can mean both a person or “the person”, and you never need to worry about the distinction.
3. Vietnamese Doesn’t Have Plurals

In English, when we want to make something plural we usually stick an “s” on the end of it. “Dog” becomes “dogs”, “table” becomes “tables” and “house” becomes “houses”. However, there are many exceptions. “Person” becomes “people”, “mouse” becomes “mice”, “man” becomes “men”, and some words like “sheep” or “fish” don’t change at all.

In Vietnamese, everything is like a sheep. The word người, which I’ve already mentioned, can be used for both “people” or “person”; “chó” is “dog” or “dogs”, “bàn” is “table” or “tables”, and so on. If you think this would get confusing, ask yourself: can you remember a single time in your life when you heard someone talking about “the sheep” or “the fish” and you got confused because you didn’t know how many animals they were talking about?

If you really need to be specific, just slap an extra word in front of the noun, like một người (one person), nhũng người (some people), or các người (all the people). Easy.

And it’s not just nouns that are simple…
4. Vietnamese Has No Confusing Verb Endings

Pity the poor learner of Spanish. Even to say something as simple as the word “speak” (hablar), he or she has to learn five or six (depending on dialect) different verb endings for the present tense alone . I hablo, you hablas, he habla, we hablamos, and the list goes on. Factor in different tenses and subtleties like the grammatical “mood” (indicative vs subjunctive), and a single Spanish verb has over fifty different forms that learners have to memorize.

The technical term is that Spanish verbs (and nouns, and adjectives) inflect, meaning the same word can take different forms depending on the context. English isn’t nearly as inflective as Spanish, but we still do it to some extent – for example the word “speak” can inflect to “speaks”, “speaking”, “spoken”, or “spoke”.

Here's the good news: Vietnamese is a completely non-inflective language – no word ever changes its form in any context. Learn the word nói, and you know how to say “speak” in all contexts and tenses for all speakers. I nói, you nói, he or she nói, we nói, you all nói, and they nói. That’s dozens, if not hundreds of hours of work saved compared to learning almost any European language.

A corollary to this is something that will give anyone’s who’s studied a European language a sigh of relief:
5. Vietnamese Tenses Can Be Learned In Two Minutes

Vietnamese tenses are so easy it’s practically cheating. Just take the original verb, e.g. “ăn” (to eat), and stick one of the following 5 words in front of it:

đã = in the past
mới = in the recent past, more recently than đã
đang = right now, at this very moment
sắp = soon, in the near future
sẽ = in the future

(There are a few others, but with these 5 you’ll be fine in 99% of situations.)

To give you some concrete examples (“tôi” means “I”):

Tôi ăn cơm = I eat rice
Tôi đã ăn cơm = I ate rice
Tôi mới ăn cơm = I just ate rice, I recently ate rice
Tôi đang ăn cơm = I am eating rice (right now)
Tôi sắp ăn cơm = I am going to eat rice, I am about to eat rice
Tôi sẽ ăn cơm = I will eat rice.

Better yet, you can often skip these words entirely if it’s obvious from the context – for example “tôi ăn cơm hom qua” – “I eat rice yesterday” – is perfectly valid Vietnamese.

Congratulations! You can now express yourself in Vietnamese in any tense! Wasn’t that simple?

6. You Don’t Have To Learn a New Alphabet

You can thank the French for this one. Up until about 100 years ago, Vietnamese was written (by the tiny percentage of the population who were literate back then) using a complicated pictoral system called Chữ Nôm that's similar to today’s Chinese characters. Today, that’s been 100% superseded by a version of the Latin alphabet (i.e. the same alphabet that English uses) called Quốc Ngữ. So, unlike Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, Thai, Cambodian, Korean, Hindi, or dozens of other Asian languages, there's no need to learn a new alphabet to read Vietnamese . All you have to do is learn a bunch of accent marks (technically “diacritics”), which are mostly used to denote tone, and you’ll be reading Vietnamese in no time.

In fact, learning to read Vietnamese is actually easier than learning to read English, because…
7. Vietnamese Spelling is Highly Consistent and Unambiguous

Quick question: how do you pronounce the English words “read”, “object”, “close”, and “present”? Well, was it close, or did you close? Did you present the present, read what I’ve read, or object to the object?

English spelling is extremely inconsistent, more than any other language I’m aware of, and the “same” word can often have different pronunciations depending on the context. Even the same letter can be pronounced a ton of different ways – like the letter “a” in “catch”, “male”, “farmer”, “bread”, “read” and “meta”. Combine this with a huge amount of inconsistencies, foreign spellings, and things that make absolutely no sense whatever (like the suffix -ough, and ESL students have one hell of hard time figuring out how English words should be written or pronounced).

Vietnamese, on the hand, has none of this nonsense. The same letter is always pronounced the same way no matter what the word or context (disclaimer: this holds true more for Hanoi Vietnamese than Saigon Vietnamese, which has a very small number of inconsistencies), and you can always tell from reading a single Vietnamese word exactly how it’s supposed to be pronounced. Once you can read the Vietnamese alphabet’s 28 letters (which, remember, are almost exactly the same as English’s 26), and understand its five tone marks, you can read any Vietnamese word. Job done!
8. Vietnamese Grammar is Virtually Non-Existent

I already mentioned how Vietnamese lets you leave out the tense word (like saying “I eat rice yesterday”) if what you mean is obvious from the context. This is actually just one example of a wider point: Vietnamese grammar is incredibly simple. Most of the time, you can just say the minimum amount of words needed to get your point across and the result is grammatically correct Vietnamese, no matter how “broken” it would sound in English.

This is why you'll often hear Vietnamese people using incomplete English sentences like “no have” or “where you go?”. They’re just translating directly from how they’d say it in Vietnamese, forgetting to apply the much more complicated rules that English insists on. It's a big disadvantage for Vietnamese people wanting to learn English, but it makes your life much easier as a learner of Vietnamese.
9. Vietnamese Vocabulary is Highly Logical

Most foreigners in Vietnam, even if they don't speak Vietnamese, will know the amusing fact that xe ôm – the local name for Vietnam’s ubiquitous motorbike taxis – translates literally as “hug vehicle.” But it doesn’t stop there – a huge percentage of Vietnamese vocabulary is formed by just combining two words in a logical manner, whereas in English you'd have to learn an entirely new third word that sounds completely different.

For instance, if I told you that máy means “machine” and bay means “flying”, could you guess what máy bay means?

There are more examples than I can begin to list, but to give you an idea: a bench is a “long chair”, a refrigerator is a “cold cupboard”, a bra is a “breast shirt” and a bicycle is a “pedal vehicle”. To ski is “to slide snow”, a tractor is a “pulling machine”, a turkey is a “western chicken”, a zebra is a “striped horse”, and the list goes on and on and on. This massively speeds up your learning of new vocabulary! As you build up a foundation of basic words, they become more than the sum of their parts as you automatically unlock hundred of new translations.
Vietnamese is Easier than You Think

Have I convinced you yet that Vietnamese just might be easier than you previously thought?

Hopefully I've managed to undo some of the myths and misconceptions you may have held around Vietnamese, and given you an insight into how the language works.
Old 18-03-2019, 21:14

Re: 9 Lý do Vietnamese is Easier Than You Think

WTF! Where is your source?
Old 18-03-2019, 21:15

Good job
Old 18-03-2019, 21:16

+10000

Cảm giác mấy người nói tiếng Việt khó chẳng qua là muốn thủ dâm tinh thần và tự ti dân tộc .
Old 18-03-2019, 21:17

windy storm is not as hard as vietnamese language
"Phong Ba Bão Táp Không bằng Ngữ Pháp Việt Nam"
Old 18-03-2019, 21:18

Các nước dùng ký tự latin thì dễ học mà, cũng như East lào học tiếng Anh, pháp,... Vậy
Old 18-03-2019, 21:21

Thiệt không, người VN nói tiếng Việt tự nhiên nên còn ko nhận ra.

"Khi các phụ âm c, ng (/k, ŋ/) ở sau các nguyên âm u, ô, o (/u, o, ɔ/), thì phụ âm đó biến thành [k͡p, ŋ͡m], còn nguyên âm /o, ɔ/ biến thành [əw, aw]."
Old 18-03-2019, 21:22

Hộ thằng thớt lười

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thằng thớt lười View Post
Nếu hỏi một người Việt Nam về ngôn ngữ của họ, bạn sẽ nhận được câu trả lời "rất khó". Đây gần như là quan điểm chung của khoảng 90 triệu người dân quốc gia này và họ còn vui vẻ khi nói với bạn rằng "tiếng Việt khó" (Vietnamese is hard) bất kỳ lúc nào. Vì vậy, khi nghĩ đến học tiếng Việt, bạn gần như cảm thấy mất tinh thần. Tuy nhiên, tôi sẽ mang đến có bạn một cái nhìn tích cực hơn về ngôn ngữ này. Tiếng Việt có thể dễ hơn so với những gì các bạn nghĩ.

Điều không thể chối cãi là với sáu tông giọng và quá nhiều nguyên âm khác với tiếng Anh, phát âm tiếng Việt là việc khó khăn. Nhưng phần lớn những người ở Việt Nam chỉ trong vòng một năm sẽ nhận ra phát âm là điều duy nhất gây trở ngại trong tiếng Việt, những yếu tố khác đều rất dễ - đặc biệt khi so sánh với phần lớn các ngôn ngữ châu Âu khác.

Tiếng Việt không có giống đực và cái

Nếu từng học tiếng Pháp, Tây Ban Nha, Đức hay gần như bất kỳ ngôn ngữ châu Âu nào ngoại trừ tiếng Anh, bạn sẽ thở phào nhẹ nhõm vì tiếng Việt không có khái niệm giống đực hay cái cho các từ vựng. Bạn chỉ cần ghi nhớ mỗi từ mà không cần thiết phải học thuộc lòng thêm điều gì.

Tiếng Việt bỏ qua mạo từ "a", "the"

Nếu một người nước ngoài học tiếng Anh và hỏi bạn khi nào dùng "a" và "the", bạn có giải thích cặn kẽ được không? Đây là một vấn đề phức tạp, thậm chí bài viết nói về mạo từ trên trang Wikipedia còn dài hơn 2.500 chữ.

Tuy nhiên, dùng "a", "the" trước một chủ thể có thực sự quan trọng? Một cách đơn giản hơn, bạn có thể loại bỏ chúng đi vì sự việc vốn hiển nhiên, người nghe cũng có thể hiểu ý bạn mà không cần thêm mạo từ. Đó chính xác là điều người Việt vẫn làm. "Người" là từ có nghĩa "a person" (người nào đó) lẫn "the person" (chính người đó) mà người nghe vẫn không lo lắng nhầm lẫn.

Tiếng Việt không có số nhiều

Trong tiếng Anh, khi muốn chỉ thứ gì đó ở số nhiều, chúng ta thường thêm "s" vào cuối từ đó. Như vậy, "dog" thành "dogs", "table" thành "tables" và "house" thành "houses". Tuy nhiên, nhiều ngoại lệ tồn tại như "person" thành "people", "mouse" thành "mice", "man" thành "men" và một số từ như "sheep" hay "fish" lại chẳng thay đổi gì.

Trong tiếng Việt, mọi từ ngữ đều như "sheep" - con cừu. Từ "người" tôi nêu trên, còn có thể sử dụng giống như "people" hay "person", "chó" là "dog" hoặc "dogs", "bàn" là "table" hoặc "tables"… Nếu thắc mắc rằng điều này có gây nên sự nhầm lẫn, bạn hãy tự hỏi bản thân mình, đã bao giờ nghe ai đó kể về "con cừu đó", "con chó đó" và bối rối vì không viết họ đang nhắc đến bao nhiều con vật trong câu chuyện đó hay không?

Nếu cần thông tin chi tiết, bạn chỉ cần dễ dàng thêm một từ trước danh từ đó, giống như "một người" (one person), "những người" (some people) hay "các người" (all the people).

Tiếng Việt không có các dạng khác nhau của động từ

Thật đáng thương cho những người học tiếng Tây Ban Nha khi nói những từ đơn giản như "hablar" (nói), họ vẫn phải học 5 hoặc 6 dạng khác nhau (tùy thuộc địa phương) để thể hiện chính xác thể của động từ này. "I hablo", "you hablas", "he habla", "we hablamos" và danh sách này vẫn chưa hết. Một động từ trong tiếng Tây Ban Nha có thể bao gồm 50 dạng (form) khác nhau mà người học phải ghi nhớ.

Tiếng Anh không giống tiếng Tây Ban Nha nhưng một từ cũng bao gồm nhiều dạng khác nhau tùy thuộc ngữ cảnh. Chẳng hạn, động từ "speak" có thể biến cách (inflect) thành "speaks", "speaking", "spoken" hay "spoke".

Tiếng Việt là một ngôn ngữ hoàn toàn không biến cách - không từ ngữ nào đổi dạng trong bất kỳ ngữ cảnh nào. Ví dụ, "speak" trong tiếng Việt là "nói" và bạn luôn dùng "nói trong mọi trường hợp - "I nói", "you nói", "he nói", "she nói", "we nói", "you nói" và "they nói". Điều này có thể tiết kiệm hàng chục, thậm chí hàng trăm giờ học thuộc so với một thứ tiếng châu Âu.

Thì của tiếng Việt có thể học xong trong 2 phút

Bạn chỉ cần thêm 5 từ được liệt kê sau đây vào phía trước động từ ban đầu để diễn tả thì mong muốn: "đã" - trong quá khứ, "mới" - vừa xong, gần với hiện tại hơn với "đã", "đang" - ngay bây giờ, tương lai gần , "sắp" - tương lai gần, "sẽ" - trong tương lai.

Thì tiếng Việt thực sự quá dễ. Ngoài 5 từ trên, bạn có một số từ khác, nhưng chỉ cần 5 từ này, bạn có thể diễn đạt đúng tới 99% trường hợp. Tôi sẽ cho bạn một vài ví dụ:

- Tôi ăn cơm = I eat rice

- Tôi đã ăn cơm = I ate rice

- Tôi mới ăn cơm = I have just eaten rice

- Tôi đang ăn cơm = I am eating rice (right now)

- Tôi sắp ăn cơm = I am going to eat rice, I am about to eat rice

- Tôi sẽ ăn cơm = I will eat rice.

Hơn nữa, bạn còn có thể bỏ qua những từ này nếu ngữ cảnh câu đã đủ rõ ràng. Chẳng hạn, "Tôi ăn cơm hôm qua" giống như "I eat rice yesterday" - từ "hôm qua" đã thể hiện điều trong quá khứ rồi, từ "đã" không cần thiết nữa nên câu này hoàn toàn đúng ngữ pháp trong tiếng Việt còn "I eat rice yesterday" lại sai ngữ pháp hoàn toàn với tiếng Anh.

Bạn không phải học bảng chữ cái mới

Bạn nên cảm ơn người Pháp vì điều này. Cách đây khoảng 100 năm, một bộ phận người Việt vẫn dùng một hệ thống chữ tượng hình phức tạp được gọi là "chữ Nôm", có ký tự giống tiếng Trung Quốc bây giờ. Ngày nay, điều đó đã được thay đổi 100% bởi bảng chữ cái Latinh, được gọi là chữ Quốc ngữ. Vì thế, không như với tiếng Quan Thoại, Quảng Đông, Nhật Bản, Thái Lan, Campuchia, Hàn Quốc hay hàng chục ngôn ngữ châu Á khác, bạn không cần học bảng chữ cái. Tất cả những thứ bạn cần là thêm các dấu (diacritic) để làm rõ tông giọng và bạn có thể đọc tiếng Việt ngay.

Cách phát âm từ tiếng Việt hoàn toàn thống nhất theo một quy luật

Câu hỏi nhanh: "Bạn đọc từ 'read', 'object', 'close' và 'present' như thế nào?". Bạn sẽ phải quan tâm rằng chúng nằm trong ngữ cảnh như thế nào: "Was it close" hay "Did you close?", "Did you present the present", "Read what I’ve read" hay "Object to the object?" (các từ này đều có cách đọc khác nhau, tùy thuộc vào từ loại, nghĩa)

So với những ngôn ngữ mà tôi biết, cách phát âm từ tiếng Anh thực sự không thống nhất bởi cùng một từ có thể được đọc khác nhau trong mỗi ngữ cảnh. Thậm chí, mỗi chữ cái cũng được đọc rất nhiều âm khác nhau, chẳng hạn "a" trong "catch", "male", "farmer", "bread", "read" và "meta". Những người học tiếng Anh trên thế giới đều gặp rất nhiều khó khăn trong việc ghi nhớ các từ tiếng Anh được viết và đọc với quy luật như thế nào.

Mặt khác, tiếng Việt lại chẳng có đặc điểm vô lý ấy. Tất cả chữ cái luôn được đọc như vậy dù từ hay ngữ cảnh có thay đổi (tuy nhiên, điều này chính xác hơn ở tiếng Việt Hà Nội so với Sài Gòn - nơi có một ít âm có cách đọc không thống nhất). Một khi bạn học thuộc 28 chữ cái tiếng Việt vốn gần giống với 26 chữ cái tiếng Anh và hiểu sự khác nhau của các giọng do dấu tạo ra, bạn có thể đọc chính xác bất kỳ từ nào.

Ngữ pháp tiếng Việt gần như không tồn tại

Như tôi đã đề cập, tiếng Việt cho phép bạn bỏ từ chia thì trong câu, như câu "I eat rice yesterday" nếu ngữ cảnh giúp người nghe hiểu chính xác thì. Đây là một ví dụ điển hình cho một quan điểm lớn hơn: ngữ pháp tiếng Việt rất đơn giản. Bạn gần như luôn luôn chỉ sử dụng số lượng từ tối thiểu để để diễn đạt quan điểm của mình và ngữ pháp vẫn chính xác dù với tiếng Anh, việc ghép từ này thường chỉ tạo nên một câu lỗi.

Đây cũng là lý do khiến bạn có thể nghe nhiều người Việt Nam nói những câu tiếng Anh như "no have", "where you go". Họ đang dịch trực tiếp những gì thường nói trong tiếng Việt sang tiếng Anh mà quên rằng có hàng loạt những quy tắc phức tạp mà người dùng tiếng Anh phải tuân theo. Đây là một bất lợi lớn với người Việt nếu muốn học tiếng Anh nhưng ngược lại, một lợi thế lớn với người nói tiếng Anh muốn học tiếng Việt.

Từ vựng tiếng Việt cực kỳ logic

Phần lớn người nước ngoài ở Việt Nam, dù không nói ngôn ngữ này cũng biết sự thật thú vị rằng "xe ôm" - tên phương tiện di chuyển như taxi bằng xe máy, được đơn thuần ghép từ "hug vehicle". Nhưng mọi việc không dừng ở đó, một tỷ lệ lớn từ vựng ở Việt Nam được tạo thành theo công thức ghép hai từ logic với nhau, trong khi với tiếng Anh, bạn phải học một từ vựng mới hoàn toàn khác. Ví dụ, nếu tôi cho bạn biết "máy" nghĩa là "machine", "bay" nghĩa là "flying", bạn có đoán được "máy bay" nghĩa là gì không?

"Xe ôm" là một từ ghép logic - "hug vehicle". Ảnh: TH.
Có rất nhiều ví dụ khác tôi có thể liệt kê ra cho bạn: a bench - ghế dài - a long chair, a refrigerator - tủ lạnh - a cold cupboard, a bra - áo ngực - a breast shirt, a bicycle - xe đạp - a pedal vehicle; to ski - trượt tuyết - to slide snow, a tractor - máy kéo - a pulling machine, a zebra - ngựa vằn - a striped horse.

Cách ghép từ như vậy có thể giúp bạn nhanh chóng học từ mới. Một khi có được vốn từ cơ bản, bạn có thể tự động biết thêm hàng trăm từ khác mà không cần học thêm.

Tiếng Việt dễ hơn so với bạn nghĩ: Liệu tôi đã chứng minh cho bạn thấy tiếng Việt dễ hơn so với những gì bạn từng nghĩ chữ? Hy vọng tôi đã gạt bỏ một vài lời đồn đại, hiểu nhầm về tiếng Việt mà bạn đã nghe trước đó và hiểu hơn về ngôn ngữ này.

Last edited by vinhquangalpha; 19-03-2019 at 15:12.
Old 18-03-2019, 21:24

Để nói được, nói không sai thì cực dễ.
Nhưng để nói hay và tự nhiên (như người Việt) thì cũng tương đối khó.

Dù sao yếu tố thứ 2 ko quan trọng lắm:
- tiếng nào cũng vậy, nói được hay đều khó, đòi hỏi trình độ và tập luyện
- lắm người Việt cũng nói tiếng việt như kẹc, chính tả thì sai, ngữ pháp thì lởm, hành văn như hành kinh

Tổng quan lại thì vẫn là dễ.

Điểm báo như này ko sợ ăn K.I.A?
Old 18-03-2019, 21:34

CHính xác là mình cảm thấy ngữ pháp VN khá là dễ. Chỉ có khó ở ngữ âm khi tụi nước ngoài phải phân biêt mấy cái dấu thôi.
Nhưng đôi khi chính vì dễ quá nên ko chặt chẽ khi diễn giải khoa học.
Vd như tiếng anh có between để chỉ ở giữa 2 món, among để chỉ vị trí đững giữa nhiều món, thì tiếng Việt muốn giải thích 2 vị trí này phải diễn giải dài dòng. Ai để ý search google nếu search tiếng Anh thì nó ra chính xác cái ý mình cần hơn là search bằng tiếng Việt